Monday, November 19, 2007

Feather Tree




So here is my first Christmas craft. A feather tree with glitter birds. The glitter bird idea came from Marthastewart.com but she had the birds on a branch covered in German tinsel. The branch didn't make sense for me so I decided to do a feather tree. The glitter are a Martha Stewart Christmas set from Micheal's. You should buy them this way as they end up being cheaper. They are expensive but no one has the colors she does. They well last you a long time. The birds are also from Micheal's and are in the floral section. The best ones in my opinion are the ones with legs but thats personal preference. The feather tree I made with some directions off the internet. These tall feather trees are expensive! You can supposedly take water and a toothbrush to shape the feathers but I think the tree is really cute. The pictures do not so it justice. The directions call for down feathers? but I couldn't find them and bought a feather boa from Micheal's (Surprise. Surprise). All the material came from Micheal's and Ben Franklin. If you want directions I can direct you to the directions I used. And answer some questions. This was fairly expensive craft and takes a LONG LONG Time roughly (10 hours). I think it is something to be proud of though. Charming little Christmas decorations.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love your feathered tree. Please tell me where you got the tutorial/instructions. I've been searching for days and can't seem to come up with anything useable. You are so very lucky to have a Ben Franklin AND Michaels where you live. We have a small craft store in a neighboring town and a Wal-Mart (ack!), which I'll have to rely on for supplies but I'm willing to give it a go. Beautiful job on the birdies too! Thanks for your lead on the instructions! Happy Holidays!
Steff

IDoDIY said...

Hopefully you received my e-mail. I hadn't posted the instructions because I actually had trouble finding the instructions again. For those interested in http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_floral_arrangements/article/0,,HGTV_3418_1384176,00.html

The instructions can be a little frustrating but feel free to ask questions.

Yes, I'm in Micheal's several times a week my bank account doesn't feel so lucky!